In honor of Studio K‘s grand opening in October, I wanted to make a special cupcake for Kristin Weissman. She’s a fan of chocolate so I created a dark chocolate cake with semi-sweet chocolate chips. This also made the cupcake black, matching Studio K’s website and design aesthetic. I wanted to come up with a brown frosting to also match the website, but the best I could do was a beige caramel cream cheese frosting. Regardless of design, this cupcake is sure to satisfy anyone’s sweet tooth!
Makes 12 cupcakes.
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract, chocolate extract, or more vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Combine the vanilla soy milk with apple cider vinegar and set aside.
Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Whisk together remaining ingredients in a separate bowl. Stir flour mixture into the wet ingredients just until smooth. Fold in chocolate chips.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
Fill cupcake liners approximately 2/3 of the way full with cupcake batter.
Bake for 18-20 minutes. Let cool before frosting.
- 8oz container of Tofutti cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons vegan margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons caramel (from scratch recipe coming soon, but for now, use your favorite vegan version or your own homemade caramel)
- 3 ½ cups confectioner’s sugar
Beat the cream cheese and margarine together until well-combined and creamy. Add the caramel and beat for about 3 more minutes. Add confectioner’s sugar and beat for another 5 to 7 minutes until smooth. Pipe onto cupcakes and enjoy!